Sunday, May 10, 2020

Change a life with $38

Nine Starbuck Lenti Frappucino or nine McDonald Big Macs equals $38.  Thirty -eight dollars a month is not much money but it can change a life. 

I have two boys, a 17-year-old, Seth,  and a 14-year-old, Chase.  But, I also have a 16-year-old in Peru, Christian, a 8-year-old in Tanzania, Sumaiya, and a 5-year-old in Indonesia,Gian.





How did I come to have five kids?  Well, obviously, Seth and Chase, are my biological children but Christian, Sumaiya and Gian are my adopted kids.  Technically, they aren't adopted but they are sponsored.  

It was March 2015 and Seth (my oldest) and I were at a men's conference at our church and Compassion International had a booth there.  Between speakers, a representative from Compassion came out and talked about their organization.

What was different about Compassion versus other sponsorship programs to me was they had packets for each child right there.  And they were clear, don't take a child's packet if you don't intend to sponsor them because you will be taking their opportunity to be adopted away.  I looked at my son and said "do you want to go and adopt a child?"  We went to the booth and started going through the packets.  I asked my son "do you think your Mom would like a little boy or a little girl?"  I knew the answer before I asked but he said "a little girl."  But, the problem/opportunity was, I wanted a little boy.  So what to do?  Simple, get both.  So we picked out Sumaiya who was 3 at that time and another boy named Alvarro.  Alvarro recently failed to meet all the requirements to be sponsored so he was replaced with little Gian.  

Fast forward two years and my other son, Chase, and I are at the same conference.  Again, Compassion was there and they did their presentation and we were both moved again to adopt another child.  We adopted Christian at that conference.

Why?  Compassion International is an awesome ministry and they things they are doing in these children's lives is amazing. And, for a minimal investment in these children, we can be a part of it.  Below are some of the things Compassion offers these kids.

These kids get access to 

  • Love unlocks the potential with their hearts.
  • Access to education to defeat illiteracy and provide critical skills
  • Supplements to protect against malnutrition
  • Health care to fight against disease and sickness
  • Christ-Centered Guidance through a local church.
  • Recreational activities to protect from crime, violence, and danger.
The difference they are making in these kids' lives is enormous.  



The other cool thing is you will get letters from your kids.  Below is an example of a letter I have received from one of our kids.



If you do anything today, click on this photo below and sponsor a kid.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Body Mass Index, what's it good for?

I have come to terms with the fact that I need to lose some weight.  "Some" is the operative word in that previous statement.  If ...